Monday, May 18, 2009

Malawi upbeat about elections

With a few hours left before the polling stations open for polls, Malawian are enthusiastic and are ready for the elections. Our team of reporters went around the city of Blantyre and Mulanje to find out the people's opinions on their state of their preparedness and their general view on the elections.

Nelson Banda, Blantyre: "I'm ready to vote for President Bingu wa Mutharika and I expect him to get majority votes because of the development he has brought like improved an road network."

Catherine Liwonde, Blantyre: "I'll not vote because I registered in Zomba but I'm currently working in Blantyre. But my hope is that the voters will vote for people who will continue developing Malawi."

Helen Liwonde, Blantyre: "I'm very excited that voting is finally on tomorrow. I'll vote for a God-fearing person, someone who propagates peace and loves development."

Lucia Matabwa, Blantyre: "I'm ready to vote. I'll vote for a person who is popular in my community."

Square Silio, Blantyre: "Tomorrow is a very crucial day because the decision that will be made through the votes will determine whether Malawi will continue to be peaceful and a secure place to live in or not. I'll vote for a person with a vision to develop Malawi further."

Erick Chisale, Blantyre: "As far as I am concerned, Malawi needs a leader who is going to revamp agriculture sector and President Bingu wa Mutharika has done that. For example, he introduced the fertiliser subsidy. I think he qualifies to be the president and I'm going to vote for him."

Kawoza Gondwe, Blantyre: "I'll vote for John Tembo for sure because he knows the state of our life and he knows where Malawi is coming from having been around since Dr. Kamuzu Banda's days. I don't think he can victimise people the way things were during the one party era."

Doreen Kaondo, Blantyre: "I am ready to vote but I cannot tell you who I will vote for. I know my presidential candidate. However, I will vote for the one who has improved the country's economy."

Adam Phiri, Blantyre: "I expect the next government to reduce the schools fees, especially in government and private universities.  The government should subsidise school fees at privately owned education institutions like the Catholic University and the Share World Open University. I expect the government that should enactive laws to punish those who deliberately infecting others with HIV virus."

Hashim Ntelera, Blantyre: "I will vote for a leader who will respect the constitution of the country; a leader who will have the welfare of the people at heart; a leader who will not favour any group of people when developing the country and this leader is none other than John Tembo."

Shamima Binali, Blantyre: "I expect the next government to address the needs of people, the grassroots. It will address issues of hunger, HIV/Aids, poverty, make medicines accessible and available, improve the economy and address all economic issues and security problems and develop the country. I wish to see a developed Malawi. They are so many, I can't say them all."

Chekite Ajida, Blantyre: "I expect the next government to ensure sustainable development and reduce the poverty to an extent where every citizen in Malawi is catered for to a certain extent." 

Mary Gelemu, Mulanje: "I registered and I'm prepared to vote. I expect the elections to be peaceful, without violence."

Charles Zuze, Mulanje: "I'm ready to vote peacefully, especially this being my first election in which I'm voting. The civic education was nice and I expect no violence."

Jessie Matiki, Mulanje: "I didn't register because there has been no development in our area, so I saw no need to register and vote. And I hear stories from people, I feel these elections might be characterised by violence. There was violence during the campaign time and I suspect it might spill over because the losers will not take it."

Peter Banda, Mulanje: "I'm ready to vote but I feel we might have violence after the results have been announced. I'm speaking from experience having been a victim of violence myself during the campaign time."

Lisinedi Luciano, Mulanje: "The voting will be okay and the results will be okay. I will vote and I'll respect the results."

Cathy Phiri, Kanjedza, Blantyre: "I've endured enough political rhetoric in the run up to the elections that I just to be through with the whole process."

Anne Vyalema, Blantyre: "I'm on my way to Zomba where I registered at Chandamale Centre. But I expect a nice election."

Kenneth Chipembere, Blantyre: "I'm going to Ntcheu to cast my vote at Malonda Primary School. I'll choose a development-conscious leader who would steer Malawi towards social-economic development."

Mary Litchowa, Mbayani, Blantyre: "I'll vote at Mbayani Primary School together with my husband, Jarrieson. I'm happy to take part in these polls because I missed the 2004 elections because my father died just a day before the polls. We want to vote to avoid very bad leaders clawing into power."

Gloria Chanza, Chilomoni, Blantyre: "May 19 will be an opportunity for me to vote for leaders who will steer the country towards improved education standards. I'll vote at the Catholic Institute [about 10km away] because we were living there when I registered. But the distance doesn't matter; voting comes only once in five years."

Linda Marimba, Chileka, Blantyre: "I see no reason for voting because politicians just want to enrich themselves. I registered at Manja Primary School [about 15km away] but I'll not vote because it's too far."

MacDonald Chawanda, Blantyre: "I voted in 2004 but I haven't seen the fruits of it, so why vote now?"

Leonard Phunduma, Kapeni, Blantyre: "My area has remained undeveloped 15 years after multiparty democracy, so what's my benefit in voting?"

Chimwemwe Champiti, Blantyre: "I'm not voting because I'm going abroad tomorrow. Even if I hadn't gone abroad, I wouldn't have voted either because politicians are all the same."

Siyeni Mapira, Malaya Village, Liwonde: "I'll only vote once Malawi's 'ageing politicians' quit politics. There is nothing for us, the youth, because it is the same old leaders ruling us."
 
Donatta Phiri, Sigerege, Blantyre: "I see the polls being peaceful, even if incidences of violence during the last two weeks of campaigning threatened to cast black clouds over prospects for peaceful elections." 

No comments:

Post a Comment